- The amount of food waste each year around the world is enough to feed three billion people. That’s 41.25% of the world’s population!
- In Australia, more than half of all food waste occurs at the point of consumption. Yes that’s right, we are the biggest cause!
- In Australia alone we waste a third of the food that is produced and yet an astonishing 2 million Australians seek food relief each year.
- We are likely to throw away one in five bags of groceries each week, that’s $8 billion worth of food each year.
- Research suggests that we don’t seem to be concerned about the issue of food waste and its effects.
- The biggest food wasters youths between the ages of 18-24 years, households with a combined income of above $100k, and young families.
So What Can We Do About All This Waste?
Are you a student who has not yet completed the consulting project, or thought about which type of organisation you would like to approach?